Meditation Therapy in London
Meditation Therapy in London
Monks sitting in solitary silence; health gurus contorted into impossible positions gently chanting “Om”; inhuman levels of concentration and control — meditation has earnt itself a fairly intimidating image in our contemporary consciousness, but that’s not the full picture.
Contrary to popular belief, meditation isn’t a holistic form of self-reflection reserved for those with saint-like patience and endless amounts of free time. Meditation is simply the practice of moving away from the distractions and stresses of daily life and freeing the mind. Sure, drowning out the madness and noise of the world and your inner thoughts can be tricky, but meditation therapists are there to help you learn the tools and techniques for reconnecting your body with your mind.
Think of it like exercise but for the brain. Throughout your sessions, you will learn how to transform areas of your brain — rewriting it to enhance your focus, mental clarity and positivity. Like any new skill, it may take a while to master, but once learnt, it's never forgotten!
Get Zen with a meditation class near you today and enter into new realms of peace, tranquillity and enlightenment.
Not the holistic therapist you're looking for? Back to Holistic Therapies.
What Are the Benefits of Meditation Therapy?
Whether you practice meditation every day for an hour or squeeze in a ten-minute session when you get the chance, there are innumerable benefits of meditating. Perhaps that’s why it's been done in one form or another for thousands of years across the entire world!
Meditation focuses the mind, stills the body and stimulates the spirit, and the effects can be astonishing. Among the most common benefits are:
- Improved focus and mental clarity
- Enhanced ability to make decisions
- Eased feelings of fear and anxiety
- Heightened sensations of calm, peace and tranquillity
But that’s only brushing the surface. Meditation has long been prescribed as a way of tackling a host of psychological illnesses, including depression, anxiety and stress, with one recent study revealing that people who meditate have lower levels of cortisol (the dreaded stress hormone).
Meditation is also scientificaly proven to improve your physical health by lowering blood pressure, increasing immunity levels and improving both the quality and quantity of your sleep.
Need another reason to give meditation a try? Well, meditation has also been found to improve levels of empathy — which, in turn, leads to better relationships and sexual connection!
What to Expect from a Meditation Therapy
Meditation is a deeply personal practice. All you need is some time, space and an open mind, but visiting a meditation teacher and learning the various tools and techniques is an invaluable step in mastering the practice.
In a meditation class, your teacher will provide you with all the practical guidance, philosophy and insights you need to help ease your mind and reap the full rewards. Of course, no two sessions are ever the same, but generally, a session will follow a structure. This might look like:
- Simple guided breathing and relaxation meditation: Here, your teacher will gently guide you into a state of peace and tranquillity using a series of mantras and breath-control exercises.
- Practical lessons on meditation and the power of positive thinking: They may explain some of the philosophies or ideas that underpin meditation and teach you some useful tips for maintaining positivity.
- Further meditation: You may then go through another guided meditation, where you have the opportunity to put some of the lessons that you have learnt into practice.
- Discussion: Your session may end with an opportunity to discuss your experience with the teacher and fellow participants. During this time, you can address any difficulties you experienced or moments of particular peace.
There’s normally no need to bring any special clothing or equipment with you, but you’ll want to make sure that you’re comfortable — so opt for loose-fitting clothes and leave your tight tops at home!
At The Holistic Guide, we have a range of different style of meditation and class types available. From single sessions and thematic series to workshops and residencies, there’s something for every taste. Browse our range of massage teachers today and enter into a new state of peace.